My friend AF who organises wholefoods cooking workshops had us cook this lovely carrot and beetroot sauce during one of her sessions.
- 5 carrots, finely diced
- 4 small beetroots, finely diced
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- fresh basil (i didn’t have any, so I used dried italian herbs instead)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy based pan. fry the shallots and garlic until fragrant
- Add in the carrots and beetroot and mix well
- Add enough water so that it just about covers the vegetables, and leave to boil
- Once the water has boiled, add in salt, pepper and herbs and leave to simmer for 40 minutes
- When the water has almost evaporated and the vegetables cooked, remove from the heat
- Whizz the vegetables into a paste/sauce using a hand-held blender
- Serve with polenta
- Boil 5 cups of water, add 2 cups of polenta, shredded carrots, broccoli and peas. Stir the mixture for 5 minutes and pour into a container. Leave for a few hours to set.