I had some beetroot and Bramley apples leftover in the fridge and wondered how best to use them up. I found the following recipe for braised red cabbage with beetroot and apple here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4385/braised-red-cabbage-with-beetroot-and-apples and decided to serve it with my chicken in 40 clove of garlic and roast potatoes which I made for Sunday dinner earlier. We normally buy braised red cabbage (ready-meal) from Waitrose so I wondered if this recipe would measure up. I had to modify the recipe slightly to avail of the ingredients in my store cupboard.
- Quarter of a red cabbage, shredded
- 2 beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 bramley apple, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp castor sugar, plus 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 x 25 g butter
- salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients (bar the 2 tbsp golden syrup and 1 x 25 g butter) in a deep pot for 1 1/2 hours
- After an hour, add in the golden syrup and mix well
- 10 minutes before serving, add in the remaining 25 g butter
- Check for seasoning in the last few minutes of the cooking time
- Remove the cinnamon stick before serving
Verdict? The dish tasted as good as the one we get as a ready meal. Despite the long cooking time, the dish is very easy to put together so I think this one is definitely a keeper.