Hubby and I stayed in Hotel Sonne in Fussen, Germany last month. We initially couldn’t decide whether to stay in one of the hotels at the foot of Neuschwanstein Castle, or to stay in Fussen itself. The reviews on tripadvisor did sway my decision, but in the end, we opted for Fussen for a bit of nightlife.
Hotel Sonne is highly rated on tripadvisor. As we found out for ourselves, the reviews were justified. The hotel is situated in the heart of Fussen. The old town is literally around the corner, and there are plenty of restaurants and bars nearby.
Check-in was a breeze and the staff at reception were extremely helpful and welcoming. We had booked a Hohes Schloss room, with a balcony, a view of the Bavarian Alps and the Fussen monastery. The room was very spacious, we had a king-sized bed, and the bathroom reminded me of our own loo at home.
Breakfast was included in the rate, and we had a feast every morning. There was sparkling wine, a variety of bread, cold meats, yoghurt, cheese, hot-food buffet, little cakes, pastries, juices, smoothies, teas and coffee.
We booked our tickets to Neuschwanstein through reception, which meant we just had to turn up at the ticket office an hour prior to our tour.
The hotel offers free WiFi, however, the traffic seemed heavy during the day and connection was next to impossible, until after 5pm or so.
These are the highlights of Hotel Sonne:
- very friendly staff and service
- lovely breakfast – there’s a sign in the breakfast room that said patrons were welcome to take away some food for snacks
- parking is available at €5 per night. However, we weren’t charged for any parking despite them knowing we had a car
- the hotel has a lively bar where I sampled some lovely cocktails
- Inexpensive mini-bar. We declared 3 bottles of still water when checking out, but the receptionist only wanted to charge us for 2!
- free WiFi – this was great when it was working
- fabulous location – you won’t go hungry as there are plenty of restaurants and cafes around
- would you believe they gave us a farewell gift which was a little bottle of schnapps and Bavarian cheese when we checked out?
Hotel Sonne is definitely one of a kind. I’ve rarely come across such wonderful hospitality. They are not afraid to give. Which is why they are guaranteed a return visit from ourselves, hopefully someday soon.