My mum used to make a side dish of fried chicken or ayam goreng at her dinner parties, for the kids who wouldn’t be too keen on curries or spicy food. To be honest, I wasn’t really a fan (well, except for KFC), until very recently when I had a plate of nasi lemak which was served with a delicious piece of fried chicken.
I wanted to replicate the dish, but opted to shallow-fry the chicken pieces and finish them off in the oven. The chicken turned out delicious, and I served some sambal belacan on the side.
- 4 chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 4 tbsp plain flour, seasoned generously with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- Rub the chicken pieces with turmeric, chilli and curry powder
- Leave to marinade for 15 minutes
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees
- Heat oil in a wok
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour and fry for 3 minutes on either side
- Place chicken on a foil-lined baking tray
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown