It’s been a very busy weekend since we came back from our recent break in Cornwall. In between painting and peeling off wallpaper, we decided to cook a roast chicken for dinner earlier. Seeing that Hubby was elbow deep in paint, I offered to cook.
I had a whole chicken weighing 1.1kg, which would serve us a good dinner, plus leftovers for Monday. The accompaniments were roast potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, sautéed broccoli, sage-pistachio-cranberry stuffing and a simple gravy.
Recipe for honey mustard roast chicken
- 1.1kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 degrees celsius
- Mix the honey and mustard in a bowl
- Place the chicken in a baking tray
- Rub the mix all over the chicken
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Place the lemon in the cavity of the chicken and cover the chicken with foil
- Place the baking tray in the middle of the oven and cook the chicken breast-side up for 30 minutes
- Flip the chicken over (breast-side down) and cook for 30 minutes, basting with juice from the tray
- Remove the foil and flip the chicken over again (breast-side up). Baste with the cooking juice and cook for 20 minutes until the skin is golden
- Switch off the oven and flip the chicken over again. Leave to rest in the oven for 15 minutes – the juice inside the chicken should flow into the breast and the rest of the chicken
- Serve up!