It’s been a warm day. I had leftover risotto for lunch which made me feel rather sluggish. After checking that the Hubby had a reasonably good lunch, I decided to make us a grilled calamari salad with the same Asian dressing I used for the mint chicken salad I made recently. The calamari only needed three to four minutes on the griddle pan. Served on a bed of rocket and a drizzle of the asian dressing – this was one satisfying dish.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- Fry lite spray
- 150g – 200g calamari per person
- 80g rocket
- Dressing: juice of 1 lime, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 red chilli – chopped, 1 clove of garlic – grated, a handful of mint leaves – chopped
- Prep the calamari. Clean, gut the calamari and separate the tentacles. Leave the calamari in tube shape but cut incisions width-ways (like slashing a pair of jeans!)
- Spray calamari with Fry Lite spray
- Heat a griddle pan and grill the calamari(in batches) for two minutes on either side (slightly longer if the calamari is big). The tentacles require three to four minutes on either side. I tested the calamari for done-ness by taking one off the griddle pan. I cut off a slice for taste and it was perfect
- Scatter the rocket leaves on a big serving dish. Remove the calamari from the griddle pan and place on top of the rocket
- To make the dressing, mix all the ingredients in a little bowl, pour half over the rocket and calamari. Leave the remaining dressing for dipping!