I’ve been a long time reader of A Healthy Slice of Life and when Brittany posted her One Pot with Greek Chicken and Lemon Rice recipe, I just had to try it. Let’s face it, despite almost 20 years away from Asia, anything rice-based gets my heart fluttering.
I used white basmati rice and in future (perhaps tonight – I’ll check with the gang if they fancy this again), will use about 1 3/4 to 2 cups of chicken broth. : 1 cup of rice. Another modification, I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper, cooked it on the griddle pan and served it with the rice as opposed to cooking it in the pot.
Both Hubby and I really enjoyed the dish. We have been stuck in a perpetual food rut and it’s great to come across easy, tasty recipes such as this one. Definitely a keeper.
This is a great recipe if you find yourself short of time/energy/motivation but just want something delicious to eat without having to spend the whole day in the kitchen. The dish tastes even better if you leave the flavours to infuse for a few hours prior to tucking in. I served my take on Mediterranean-style chicken with couscous and rocket.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 2 chicken thighs, 2 drumsticks (skin removed), marinated with a chopped clove of garlic, 2 tsp paprika, salt and pepper for minimum 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 200g tinned tomatoes
- 1 medium aubergine, diced
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- a sprig of thyme
- 2 tbsp pistou (a good handful of basil leaves, 1 clove of garlic peeled – pounded with mortar and pestle)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- a handful of chopped basil leaves
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees
- Dredge chicken with flour
- Heat oil in a heavy-based oven-proof pot
- Shake off excess flour and fry the chicken for 3 minutes on either side
- Remove chicken to a plate
- Fry the chopped onion in the same pot for a minute until fragrant, then add the garlic
- Cook for 30 seconds and add the thyme, followed by canned tomatoes, the vegetables and stock
- Place the chicken back into the pot, put the lid on and transfer to the oven
- Cook for 45 minutes
- Remove chicken from the oven, add the pistou, season with salt and pepper
- Serve with freshly chopped basil, couscous and rocket